Ben represents individuals and businesses in tax controversies against the IRS, Minnesota Department of Revenue, and Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development. Ben’s experience helps him see practical solutions and consistently achieve successful results in audits, appeals, court actions, and collection cases. He also frequently publishes and speaks to attorneys, CPAs, and other tax professionals about tax topics and his experiences representing taxpayers against the IRS and Minnesota Department of Revenue.
Ben also volunteers as a Program Specialist for the YMCA’s Youth in Government Model Assembly and as Secretary of the Minnesota State Bar Association Tax Section.
Publications and Seminars
- Recent Developments in Collection Due Process and Innocent Spouse Cases- 73rd Annual Minnesota CLE Tax Institute (2013)
- The Cold Climate of Minnesota Residency Law, 59th Annual MNCPA Tax Conference (2013)
- My Cleint Owes: Successfully Negotiating IRS and MN DOR Collection Options, 59th Annual MNCPA Tax Conference (2013)
- Tax Traps in Family Law Cases: Avoiding the Landmines (Family Law Section November 2013 CLE)
- Hamline University Business Law Institute: “Hot Topics in Tax” Panelist (2013)
- Defending Individuals Against Personal Liability Assessments Tax Section (May 2013 CLE)
- Advanced Business Tax, William Mitchell College of Law, Guest Lecturer (2013)
- IRS Audits and Appeals: Defending Your Client’s Position, 58th Annual MNCPA Tax Conference (2012)
- Sales Tax Audits, Appeals and Litigation: Tips for Negotiation and Resolution, 58th Annual MNCPA Tax Conference (2012)
- Hamline University Business Law Institute: “Hot Topics in Tax” Panelist (2012)
- Minnesota Sales and Use Taxes: From Audit through Litigation, Minnesota State Bar Association, (May 2012 CLE)
- Tax Traps in Family Law Cases: Avoiding the Landmines, Dakota County Bar Association (2012)
- Employment Taxes – Tax Law for the Non-Specialist, Minnesota CLE (2012)
- Collection Issues – Offer in Compromise, Minnesota CLE 71st Annual Tax Institute (2011)
- Compromising Tax Obligations, MSBA Tax Section Annual CLE Series (2011)
- “Summary Guide” for Taxation and Reporting of Verdicts and Settlements(Employment Litigation), Minnesota CLE (Update 2010) (Pub.).
- Employment Taxes – Tax Law for the Non-Specialist, Minnesota CLE (2010)
- Sales and Use Tax Audits, Appeals, and Litigation in Minnesota Tax Court – 69th Annual Minnesota CLE Tax Law Institute (2009).
- An Introduction to Representing Taxpayers: From Audit Through Tax Court – Hearsay, Spring 2009, Vol. X, No. 3 (2009) (Pub.)
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Tax Section (Secretary, Current)(Council Member, 2012 – Present)(Co-Chair, Legislative Committee, 2011 – Present)
- Minnesota State Bar Association,
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Tax Section
- J.D. 2008 William Mitchell College of Law
- B.A. 2005 Saint John’s University (Dean’s List)
Professional Volunteer Activities
- William Mitchell College of Law Attorney Mentor (2009 – Present)
- ABA Pro Se Taxpayer Initiative (2008 – Present)
- Program Specialist for YMCA Youth in Government (2005 – Present)
- MACV Legal Clinic For Veterans (2012 – Present)