Ben represents businesses and individuals against the Internal Revenue Service, the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development and the Minnesota Department of Revenue in audits, collection cases, court actions and appeals. With each case he handles, Ben strives to develop practical solutions to achieve the best possible outcome for his clients to their legal issues.
Staying active in the legal community, Ben is involved with several associations. He is a member of the Tax Law Section of the Hennepin County Bar Association and the Minnesota State Bar Association. Additionally, he currently serves as secretary for the Tax Law Section of the Minnesota State Bar Association. Ben is an attorney mentor at the William Mitchell College of Law and frequently speaks to certified public accountants, attorneys and other tax professionals on tax-related topics.
Beyond his work in the courtroom, community involvement is a priority for Ben. He has volunteered his services with a number of organizations, including the American Bar Association’s pro se taxpayer initiative and the Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans’ legal clinic. Ben currently serves as a program specialist for the YMCA Twin Cities’ Youth in Government model assembly.
Publications and Seminars
- Recent Developments in Collection Due Process and Innocent Spouse Cases- 73rd Annual Minnesota CLE Tax Institute (2013)
- The Cold Climate of Minnesota Residency Law, 59th Annual MNCPA Tax Conference (2013)
- My Cleint Owes: Successfully Negotiating IRS and MN DOR Collection Options, 59th Annual MNCPA Tax Conference (2013)
- Tax Traps in Family Law Cases: Avoiding the Landmines (Family Law Section November 2013 CLE)
- Hamline University Business Law Institute: “Hot Topics in Tax” Panelist (2013)
- Defending Individuals Against Personal Liability Assessments Tax Section (May 2013 CLE)
- Advanced Business Tax, William Mitchell College of Law, Guest Lecturer (2013)
- IRS Audits and Appeals: Defending Your Client’s Position, 58th Annual MNCPA Tax Conference (2012)
- Sales Tax Audits, Appeals and Litigation: Tips for Negotiation and Resolution, 58th Annual MNCPA Tax Conference (2012)
- Hamline University Business Law Institute: “Hot Topics in Tax” Panelist (2012)
- Minnesota Sales and Use Taxes: From Audit through Litigation, Minnesota State Bar Association, (May 2012 CLE)
- Tax Traps in Family Law Cases: Avoiding the Landmines, Dakota County Bar Association (2012)
- Employment Taxes – Tax Law for the Non-Specialist, Minnesota CLE (2012)
- Collection Issues – Offer in Compromise, Minnesota CLE 71st Annual Tax Institute (2011)
- Compromising Tax Obligations, MSBA Tax Section Annual CLE Series (2011)
- “Summary Guide” for Taxation and Reporting of Verdicts and Settlements(Employment Litigation), Minnesota CLE (Update 2010) (Pub.).
- Employment Taxes – Tax Law for the Non-Specialist, Minnesota CLE (2010)
- Sales and Use Tax Audits, Appeals, and Litigation in Minnesota Tax Court – 69th Annual Minnesota CLE Tax Law Institute (2009).
- An Introduction to Representing Taxpayers: From Audit Through Tax Court – Hearsay, Spring 2009, Vol. X, No. 3 (2009) (Pub.)
Recognitions and Associations
- Named a SuperLawyer – Rising Star,Taxation (2015)
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Tax Section (Secretary, Current)(Council Member, 2012 – Present)(Co-Chair, Legislative Committee, 2011 – Present)
- Minnesota State Bar Association,
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Tax Section
- J.D. 2008 William Mitchell College of Law
- B.A. 2005 Saint John’s University (Dean’s List)
Professional Volunteer Activities
- William Mitchell College of Law Attorney Mentor (2009 – Present)
- ABA Pro Se Taxpayer Initiative (2008 – Present)
- Program Specialist for YMCA Youth in Government (2005 – Present)
- MACV Legal Clinic For Veterans (2012 – Present)