Ben represents clients on a wide variety of issues, including correcting Minnesota Department of Revenue adjustments to sales and use tax returns, eliminating IRS assessments for the trust fund recovery penalty, reducing assessments against estates, and helping small businesses negotiate compromises and repayment schedules. Ben has presented seminars for other professionals to help them learn more about representing taxpayers before the IRS and the Department of Revenue.
Ben also shows his passion for the law through his volunteer work as a Program Specialist for the YMCA’s Youth in Government Model Assembly and as Co-Chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association, Tax Section’s Legislative Committee.
Publications and Seminars
- Minnesota Sales and Use Taxes: From Audit through Litigation, Minnesota State Bar Association, (May 2012 CLE)
- Tax Traps in Family Law Cases: Avoiding the Landmines, Dakota County Bar Association (2012)
- Employment Taxes – Tax Law for the Non-Specialist, Minnesota CLE (2012)
- Collection Issues – Offer in Compromise, Minnesota CLE 71st Annual Tax Institute (2011)
- Compromising Tax Obligations, MSBA Tax Section Annual CLE Series (2011)
- “Summary Guide” for Taxation and Reporting of Verdicts and Settlements(Employment Litigation), Minnesota CLE (Update 2010) (Pub.).
- Employment Taxes – Tax Law for the Non-Specialist, Minnesota CLE (2010)
- Sales and Use Tax Audits, Appeals, and Litigation in Minnesota Tax Court – 69th Annual Minnesota CLE Tax Law Institute (2009).
- An Introduction to Representing Taxpayers: From Audit Through Tax Court – Hearsay, Spring 2009, Vol. X, No. 3 (2009) (Pub.)
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Tax Section (Co-Chair Legislative Committee)
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Tax Section
- J.D. 2008 William Mitchell College of Law
- B.A. 2005 Saint John’s University (Dean’s List)
Professional Volunteer Activities
- William Mitchell College of Law Attorney Mentor (2009 – Present)
- ABA Pro Se Taxpayer Initiative (2008 – Present)
- Program Specialist for YMCA Youth in Government (2005 – Present)
- MACV Legal Clinic For Veterans (2012)